Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A or B? A or B? ....and some more kona pics

Ok, just so you don't get too bored, do note that if you read this blog, you'll see a couple more photos from Kona..the best is the one where I'm stoping directly in front of the camera guy (didn't know it), with a severe hamstring cramp... oh baby was that a bad day all around... but i'd do it all over again.

A OR B? A OR B?

In the recent days I've been pondering a couple choices I have to, well don't HAVE to make, but choose to make; regarding racing and riding and general triathlon-ish stuff.

Choice 1--
Alluding to the previous blog, IF and when I get some money, I need to purchase a new tandem. I will purchase one regardless of my CAF grant, but the grant pretty much dictates the speed machine I can afford. So i'm looking at A) Griffen tandem and B) C0-Motion Periscope Torpedo

A) $17,000
-light
-stiff
-custome made
-needs to be fit to a smaller range captain---can only use captains of certain dimensions, limiting my rider pool
-FAST

B) $9,000
-not quite as light
-probably not as fast or aero
-not as stiff
-however it is VERY adjustable, so many riders would be accomadated

Suggestions?


Choice 2--

Mindy agreed that 2009 will be the year of her vacations, no commitment to any race, just play it by ear and get used to tandem racing. I did agree to do our local sprint triathlon with her on the tandem...This will be fun, and quite a new sight for people used to seeing me either leading or near the front of this race (on the bike) in the past. This time, even though i don't have to--i'm going fully tethered and doing it proper. I really only need the tandem, but if i'm doing it tandem, i'm doing it tandem. I think it shows others just exactly how visually impaired athletes have to cope.
However 2010 has been agreed that I am able to go back to Ironman, and apply for the Kona lottery again (since I am unable to qualify, but this will be a blog later, man I am not impressed with the WTC).

So the choice...

A) Goofy race and half --January-----1/2 marathon on sat. and full on sun. in Disney
Ironman Lousiville Kentucky---August

B) Goofy race and a half
Ironman Utah---May---which is an inagural event, but is close to Vegas and family.



So my two choices, both need to be made within the next month or so i'd say, neither is life and death...but ironically this choice that I have to make, involves others in a big way.

-I need to consider who is going to ride with me on the tandem
-I need to ask/consider/confirm who is willing to race an Ironman with me next year



And here's some pics....none are pretty, but they show the day as it was, and it motivates me to go back and get it done.












No comments:

Post a Comment