Friday, March 13, 2009

Kona--a look back through the eye of the camera

I wanted to share with you a few videos and pictures from Kona. They've been on the camera for a while, but i just decided to upload them today....
The first video is of my 2nd last solo ride, it was a training ride up to Hawi and back, a few days before the race. My legs felt great, the course suited me, it was hot, windy, but i was ready to go. The race day ride, was not so good, so i choose to have this as my memory of my last good solo ride. A bit sad to watch, but i'm glad we've got it on tape.
Add Image


The next video is to prove, that i actually did run in Kona....haha, this is within the first mile of the run... I felt not bad at this point, but things quickly turned on me. You will notice a theme here, of how terrible a videographer my wife is--god bless her:)



This third video is THE video that i'm actually glad we got on tape more then anything. This is the video i have many names for "10 and 6" which means i was at 10 miles and had puked 6 times. Or, "16 miles to go"; this is what i have left when i get back to Kona....16 miles of unfinished buisness, 16 miles until a dream. Or, "Kona DNF"; which speaks for itself.

This last video i still have a bit of trouble watching...it doesn't make me cry, it doesn't really even make me angry----it just makes me sad...plain and simple: SAD.





I had spent my entire triathlon career up to this day, dreaming of getting to Kona, in the best shape i've ever been in, and it all fell apart...almost before it even began.

On the other hand i watch this video with a sense of conviction (to get back there), and a sense of urgency (to get back there). I've spent my life telling others that there is no reason to quit, to give up, to stop; but that is what i did on that day, and i need to return, to prove that Kona is a race that i can finish, that my stopping on that day was out of my hands and that my will was out-voted by my body's desire to shut down.

I do believe too that i secretly hoped that this would be the ultimate in "going out on top"...a perfect way to close the chapter. However, not everybody's life can be a perfect book, with the perfect happy ending----well at least not at this stage in my life.

My perfect happy ending? Perhaps somewhere down the line..but for now i use this as a lesson, an experience, another reason to be thankful, gain even more perspective, and gain even a deeper passion to get back to Kona.

NOTE: To look for some humour in the video...pay attention in the last video of how silent everyone is as i am walking up to them... Then listen to when they start their encouragment...after i've gone by. It makes me laugh every time:)

Oh, just for laughs, check out my MEDICAL TENT PICS----hey i got great service:) 3 to 1 ratio, that is service!!!







1 comment:

  1. Hey Ryan, just catching up on my reading now.... you know what they say,

    Everything works out in the end,
    If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete