Friday, July 17, 2009

Some say disabled, i say GET OUTTA MY WAY!



Well, it has been an interesting couple of weeks for the "life of Ryan (and Mindy)"...
A couple weeks back we sold our house-FINALLY--after a long while on the market, I obtained my tandem, raced my first paratriathlon, am prepping for anothe big race in NYC and am going through some interesting stuff that is work related.
Due to my vision's deteriorating nature, my job may become a bit less secure over the next 6 months to a year or so --unless my employer steps up big time to help me out-- Preparing for this eventuality I have started to ask certain questions regarding job security and the support I hope to recieve, which led to this statement (or variation of) on three seperate occassions this week:

"Why don't you go on disability...?"

NOTE: Before I go any further, and you ask "what's wrong with disability?" PLEASE read the rest of the blog before you decide if you want to yell at me or not.

For those that have read my initial blogs, or any writing of mine describing my upbringing, you will note loud and clear that the support I was given was huge. I was encouraged to aim big, and aim with the same preciseness as any "sighted" or "able bodied" person. I was very much encouraged to not let my vision stand in the way, use it as a crutch, or let people pigeon hole you because of it. This has always been the way I've tried to live life, but inevitably, my sight or lack there of, has caused some issues in my life. I don't want to say I haven't aimed as high as any other person, but sometimes there is a sense of reality, and what is truly possible. However, these limiting situations in my life have been few and far between in the grand scheme of things.

Fast forward to this week---- When I start to question the future, when my sight may severely inhibit my job performance and/or safety of others; when I'm looking for a solution to move forward with... I'm given: "Why don't you go on disability? ". To me, this is NOT moving forward, this is not a goal to set, this is not a step in the direction that my life has been travelling.

So my thoughts on the subject?
First let me say that this is only my opinion, and you are entitled to debate or disagree.
My issue with going on disability is such:
Individuals who are on these types of payments should be ones that TRULY are in need of them. Individuals who for various reasons have no other solution, are "challenged" so severely that working and supporting themselves is basically impossible.

I don't feel it is, OR SHOULD BE, in my case.

We all know people who "milk" the system, ones that are looking for an easier ride. Call me crazy but I love a challenge. So when random strangers suggest that since my life is now approaching a state where there will be significant issues in current job security, or finding a new, equally well paying job; and my next best situation is to just accept defeat and accept these payments....

Well, refer to my previous statement....these should be reserved for those that TRULY are in need because they have little or no other choice...

I HAVE A CHOICE....

I spent four years in University attaining a degree, in order to work a lifetime and help others. I feel it very strange that the first solution to give a 29 year old is to "go on disability"... To me this is not empowering, this does not set a good example, this does not move society forward. Yes it may be difficult for some employers to find ways to support or accomodate a person with certain "challenges", but hey, I'm the one dealing with the challenges all day, perhaps helping me out for 8 hours a day isn't too tough?

If you haven't noticed I tend to have a fairly strong opinion on this subject, I really am not a fan of the word(s)
DISABLED
or
HANDICAPPED

These words although socially acceptable (?), often times make a person with various challenges feel as though they are somebody to be pittied, babied, or celebrated when they accomplish even the most medocre of tasks in society. People with physical or mental CHALLENGES are quite the opposite, they are often some of the strongest individuals you will ever meet. As stated, we deal with challenges all day, every day, we deal with stereotype, subtle and overt discrimination and looks of pity (don't get me started on that one).
Nobody should be looked down upon by society, nobody should be labeled, but unfortunatley our society is full of labels.
So, when somebody suggests that simply because someone is "challenged" that the best solution is to just shrink away and stop striving to achieve and contribute; to me this is absurd.

I understand that sometimes due to certain circumstances, people need to be classified, or categorized, which is fine for the proper reasons. However, in my opinion the word handicapped should be totally eliminated from societal vocabulary, and the word disabled should be changed to "persons with a physical or mental challenge"...but simply that is what they are..challenges, they are not lack of or absense of abilities. Just becasue you have sight, does not mean vision, touch does not mean feeling, hearing does not mean listening, taste and smell do not mean appreciation for such senses... In a wheelchair? definatley a challenge, but also a chance to inform, inspire and educate.
You ever want to fire me up? You have got your solution...
Some wish to call me disabled, handicapped, a burden, a bother, a chore, a charity case, a special case...to these people I say GET OUT OF MY WAY! .....I'd prefer to keep aiming big, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. In most ways I agree with you 100%.

    Here are the areas where I feel differently:

    1. "Going on Disability". If you find yourself unemployed and challenged to make ends meet I think you should go on. That's what it is there for. You have contributed all these years and you deserve the help if you need it. Staying on permanently obviously would NOT be the goal.

    2. Labels. I find myself not really caring about the labels people use. "Disabled", "Challenged", "Handicapped", "Person with a Disability".... I never knew exactly what to say when I was "Able bodied" nor do I know exactly what is correct now. A word is just a word. I can usually tell what the feeling behind the word is... and that is when things start to matter more - though not much frankly, because I am well aware that as humans, we are flawed.

    Anyway, I have no doubt you'll find something before you need to concern yourself with going on Disability. Relentless forward motion...

    Cheers,

    MJ

    P.S. I just remembered I have to answer your last e-mail - SORRY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY true MJ, never met you but you are a man of great wisdom:) "Going on disability"..for most individuals it is legitimate, but i know of and hear of several individuals who almost look forward to their payments, in order to NOT have to work...and i guess this lessesns the notion for everyone..
    The meaning behind the words..very true...i take alot in tone or in context, can't see the body language:) But, i think when the meaning is pity, it again diminishes the person...which i find sad. I don't get upset if people are genuinely trying to be nice, it is just those who think that becasue we have challenges, then we are always looking for the easy ways out--that is insulting, and pretty much one of the only times i'd get upset...

    no worries on the email...i know you'll get round to it..
    thanks for the insight:)

    ReplyDelete