Thursday, July 23, 2009

C-K invades New York State!

They're attacking from the north...
They're attacking from the south...

Chatham-Kent will be well represented this Sunday in New York state with three local athletes tackling two big races!!

Myself, we'll i'm off with my wife, her friend and my guide Syd, to the heart of New York City, right down in central park and surrounding roads.

I'll be attempting my first NAUTICA NEW YORK CITY TRIATHLON, which happens to be the USA National Para Triathlon Championships....This is an Olympic distance race (1500m swim in the Hudson river, 40km bike along Manhatten roads, and a 10k run in Central Park) triathlon, which will pit me against 3000 other triathletes but more importantly against a group of other visually impaired triathletes. A great chance to see how much work i need to do in order to make my way on to the potential 2012 Canadian Paralympic Triathlon team...


Attacking from the north?........local athletes and friends, Tony Reed, and Jim Waters. For the duo, they will be tackling FORD IRONMAN USA--LAKE PLACID... a 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run...the full shabang!

This will be Tony's 2nd time in Lake Placid and his 6th Ironman overall..
For Jim, this is his first attempt at the Ironman distance, and man he looks strong...he is a natural plodder like me...we both aren't SUPER fast in any discipline but solid throughout. I think he'll do fantastically, and he's picked the hardest Ironman in North America (besides Hawaii) to test himself.

You can follow Tony Reed, Jim Waters, Ironman performance online at www.ironman.com
Their is a link to type their name, and see their times in realtime ...really cool.

For me? i don't think we have live timing, but you can check out www.nyctri.com later in the day sunday or wait for all the gory details for me next week.

In the next month and a half all the hard work and training by local athletes will pay off in some big big time races...stayed tuned; there is so much to be proud of, and so many strong athletes that live right in our backyard.

Enjoy your weekend, and think of Tony, Jim and myself at about 7am on Sunday morning at they dive into prestine Mirror Lake and I into clean (?) Hudson River a few hundred kilometers to the south of the Ironman event.

Have a great weekend!!

1 comment: