Friday, March 5, 2010

Still Alive, still kicking, just a bit delinquant




I'M STILL ALIVE
As my wife pointed out to me earlier this week..."You haven't writen in your blog forever, you should get back to that..." The context I think was partially due to the fact that she felt that my loyal readers (or reader, thanks Aunt Pat!) may be missing me. I also think it was partially due tot he fact that she wanted me to perhaps vent, err, umm, i mean SHARE with somebody other then her for a change...and you know what? She's right. More on this later.
(goofing around with new helmet--above)

I am clearing out some cobwebs and getting back at it, as i fell 2010 will be a full year, lots going on, and much to look back upon and look forward to. Thank you for checking back in, and I hope 2010 is a memorable one for you too, for all the right reasons.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE
Well, since my last real blog back towards the end of 2009, much has been happening, and much is in the process of happening. Since he fall, one in which our cat of 3 years "Marbles" decided one October day to run into the corn field behind our house--never to be seen again; I competed in the Ironman 70.3 World Championships; we held our 3rd Annual Stubborn Buffalo 8 Miler; and our renovations were finally finished....life hasn't slowed down all that much.
The start of 2010 has been rough personally (hence the reason my wife is glad I share with more then just her alone), as I've been battling some pretty hefty demons. As most know, I base my life on the theory that anything truly is possible, that everyone should live with a great amount of perspective on what truly matters in life, and on the fact that being negative is poisonous to the soul and to the ones around you. Trying to keep ones self positive is sometimes a tough road to tread, but thus far I've managed to do so; that is until recently. Thus far in 2010 I have had to "prove it" on a daily basis--prove to myself that the words I preach to others are correct. I must daily prove to myself that there are no excuses to remain positive, that challenges are merely things that you must find a way to adapt to and then move on. Hence my new favorite mantra of:

ASSESS, ADAPT, MOVE FORWARD...

The fact that last November i visited my eye doctor and found that my current vision is now roughtly 10-15% of that of a normal person, and indicated a roughly 10% drop from the previous year, only confirmed the reason for the current difficulties I face. However, so far in the early part of 2010, I had seemed to be losing the mental battle, losing my perspective, losing my ability to adapt, and spiraling into a world of "can't"....which was obviously VERY disturbing and VERY upsetting to me. I knew growing up that things would get rocky, but I promised myself that i would l not lose, I would remain positive and keep plugging away. So after a very rough January and a progressively better February, I now enter into March. I feel more postive, more proactive (hence the blogging), and more able to assess, adapt, and move forward.
The demons i battle on a daily basis regarding:
-how do i get outside for a run when i'm too frightened?
-how do i admit that i'm frightened?
-how do i get my friends to realize that things are much tougher and i need their help?
-what if they don't want to help me or can't help me?
-how am i going to train for an Ironman (Ironman USA in July) if i have to do it all by myself and nobody will run or ride with me?
-what do i do if my vision won't allow me to work properly anymore?
-what happens if the nausea and fatigue and headaches i'm getting from my vision get worse?
...and so on and so on?

I have found answers to some of these, and for the rest i have decided that there is no sense in dwelling, as i must just do the best every day i can, and keep that perspective. I am blessed with a super supportive family and most of all a wife that won't LET me lose. I know she feels helpless, but SHE knows that i don't need sympathy, i need her to first of all understand, and secondly kick my in the rear. She is doing both:)

ON A LOCAL NOTE
As i continue to look forward to 2010, facing new challenges and adapting to my ever changing circumstances; i still feel very much excitment for what is going on locally. Local races, local athletes and the promise of a great 2010.
Coming up we've got our 2nd Annual MUDDY RIVER RUN in April, hosted by the VON. We've also go the Trot to the Beach and Rondeau Triathlon's as per usual. This year's SBES (Stubborn Buffalo Event Sereis) is shaping up to be the best ever with the events as follows:

WIND-ING UP FOR 2010 (May 15) Wine tasting/season kick-off party at the Smith and Wilson Winery

CYCLE WITH THE HERD 100K- (May 29) A 100k/50/20k bike ride that replaces our spinathon and gets everyone outdoors. The ride will run from Erieau to Morpeth and back, with routes going along the lake and through Rondeau Park.

ADELARD VAN PRAET MEMORIAL GOLF TOURNAMENT (July 17th) Conntryview Golf Course

STUBBORN BUFFALO 8 MILER (November -first sunday) This year being help in Wilson's Conservation Area, as we've looked for a few years for the perfect location...and i think we've found it.

This year we will have many many local athletes taking on big challenges and representing our areas with pride. Athletes will be running 5k's all the way up to Marathons----doing try a tri's all the way up to Ironman distances. Chatham-Kent is chalk full of great athletes and i hope 2010 will allow them all to shine.

NEW RIDE
A quick picture of my new aquisition...as Big Al (my racing tandem) is too big and twitchy for many of my potential pilots...thus limiting my outdoor riding time... I have purchases a mountain bike tandem for kicking around on... So far so good, as Mindy feels comfortable and I have been out a couple times already this year. Nothing beats outdoor riding!

WHAT'S AHEAD?
As mentioned above, 2010 will have much to look forward to. There will be numerous local races, SBES taking place, local athletes competing all over the place and plenty more opportunites for Chatham Kent to show it's talent.
For myself 2010 will bring IRONMAN USA in July, which will be 6 years to the day i did my first Ironman there... this will be my 7th Ironman (6th finish). I also hope to race several local races with a few different pilots, as Syd is still my guy but HE'S GOING TO BE A DADDY in July, so he's goign to be a bit too busy to do too much racing. He and I will tackle the Ironman though.
Syd and I also hope to travel to Budapest Hungary in September for the ITU World Championships (Olympic distance)....so i can stake my claim to potential spots on the Canadian National team if/when triathlon makes it to the Paralympics.

Other then that, not too much else new..I will try to keep in touch, and be a little less winded next time around.. Thanks for reading!

Bikes looking a little lonely in the garage:)

No comments:

Post a Comment